EIGHTH AFRICA BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP CONFERENCE
GUIDELINES FOR “BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN AFRICA” BEST PAPER COMPETITION
PRIX D’EXCELLENCE POUR LA MEILLEURE COMMUNICATION
About the Competition
The Africa Business and Entrepreneurship Conference is a three-day event focused on the pivotal role of business and entrepreneurship in Africa. As scholars of Africa business and entrepreneurship, you understand the effects of the entrepreneurial process, its associated challenges, and its promising opportunities to strengthen various African economic sectors. Therefore, your perspective is needed as we seek to understand the future of Africa’s economic prosperity.
The “Business and Entrepreneurship in Africa” Best Paper Competition seeks papers that demonstrate an expertise in understanding the role of entrepreneurship in Africa and lend new insight to this largely understudied area. Up to two winners will receive an award.
The competition is open to anyone who studies issues related to business and entrepreneurship in Africa. Practitioners, policy makers, field professionals, students, professors, and all other researchers are welcome. Scholars currently living on the continent of Africa are strongly encouraged to register for the competition.
Up to two scholars will be chosen to win an award which includes the following:
- Formal recognition of the winning papers at the conference
- Publication of the winning papers in a special issue of the Journal of Africa Business and Entrepreneurship Research, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship or Transnational Corporations Review (TNCR).
- $1000 cash equivalent award.
Paper Topics & Submission Guidelines
Papers may address any phase or aspect of the entrepreneurial process, such as start-up, finance, growth, management, and influences of and effects on economic development, and may focus solely on one country, on comparisons between countries, or cross-border entrepreneurship. Possible areas of study include, but are not limited to:
- Foundations promoting entrepreneurship in Africa
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and government promotion of entrepreneurship in Africa
- Connecting research and entrepreneurship in Africa
- Language, culture, and entrepreneurship
- Doing business in Africa: public policy options for a business-enabling environment
- Entrepreneurship and healthcare
- Entrepreneurship and technology
- Entrepreneurship and clean energy
- Entrepreneurship and social justice
- Entrepreneurship and processing of raw materials
- Intercultural communication and business
- Business education and foreign languages
- University partnerships and entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurship education
- Business incubation/accelerators
- Business financing: venture capital, private equity, banks, capital markets, angel investors, crowdfunding, microfinance…
- Chinese and Indian business engagement with Africa
- The Diaspora investment, remittances and entrepreneurship
- Small and medium-sized enterprises, and microenterprises
- Social entrepreneurship
- Youth and entrepreneurship
- Rural entrepreneurship
- Marketing, HR or supply chain management
- Other topics appropriate for this conference
Papers should not exceed 25 pages, including all references and appendices. Please submit the abstracts and completed papers through the conference website at www.africabusiness.org. Abstracts should indicate results and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper. The deadlines for submission of abstracts and the full papers for competition are March 31, 2017 and May 31, 2017, respectively. Full names, affiliations, mailing addresses, telephone, fax numbers, e-mail addresses, and
a short bio should be included with abstracts and final paper submissions. For any additional information, please address your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstracts: March 31, 2017
- Full Papers Due: May 31, 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: June 30, 2017
- Conference: October 4 – 7, 2017
Judging Criteria & Review Process
Acceptable papers will meet the mission and standards of the Journal of Africa Business and Entrepreneurship Research http://africabusiness.org/publications/ Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship http://www.worldscientific.com/page/jde/aims-scope or Transnational Corporation Review http://www.tnc-online.net/page/submission/index.php and shall:
- Demonstrate expertise and understanding of business and entrepreneurship in Africa;
- Show applications for entrepreneurship practice and policy;
- Contribute to the larger body of literature in the field;
- Adequately define the theoretical framework and formulate the appropriate research question;
- Demonstrate an innovative approach and critical thinking; and
- Demonstrate high-quality writing and presentation of the material.
Paper submitted for competition will be judged in a double-blind review process.
- Competition winners must present their own work at the conference; no substitutes will be permitted.
- Only unpublished, non-copyrighted manuscripts should be submitted. Submission of a paper will imply that it contains original unpublished work and is not being submitted for publication elsewhere. Authors will be granted permission to reprint or otherwise use portions of their published papers.